Making the BIG Decision(s)

Man! This is really tough! 

You know how you sometimes open up the fridge or look in the food pantry, because you’re hungry (or at least want a snack), but not really knowing what you want.  As you stare into the vast grocerial abyss, you just are not seeing anything available that looks good to you?
  
Sometimes finding a new romantic wagon to which to hitch one’s proverbial trailer is like that. Now, add to the search criteria all that comes with being more established in your life path and even the logistics that come with having additional life forms with their own respective needs to meet.  There are so many more variables that go into choosing a person with whom I want to spend life enjoying and working through the trials as a 35+ father of 3 than when I was a single, childless bachelor of 25. 

This is a BIG decision.  As we ALL have learned from Guru Covey, it’s best if we “begin with the end in mind.”  So, where do I begin?  How do I keep from missing some key issue?  SURELY, the good Lord will tell me who is my ideal mate and how to find her, right?  I mean, He loves me enough to send the heavenly-warm fuzzy-fairies my way to “confirm all truth”, right?

Weeeellllll…. kinda. 

After four years of being a single dad and making some wiser choices sometimes than at other times, I’ve learned and shifted my “revelation paradigm” on marriage and choosing a prospective spouse. 

Yes! The Big Guy ABSOLUTELY loves you!  In fact, He loves you more than enough.  However, He loves you enough to not necessarily tell you to whom you should hitch your marital wagon.  After earnest prayer and reviewing multiple presentations and guidance from individuals I trust, I’ve (finally) come to the conclusion that, similar to choosing a career, the Lord allows us to make the choice of whom to marry. 

It is then for us to live with the subsequent rewards and trials of the personality, style, interests, and attraction with the person we have chosen.  It’s a choice.  It’s OUR choice!

He showed me long ago that regardless of the paths we choose in life, there will be hills to climb, vistas to see, and rocky, slippery trails where we skin our emotional knees and even break/bruise a few ribs, toes, and clavicles along the way; and yes, even our ever-lovin’ hearts.

There are so many different ways to sort through the “dating-base” of other single spouse-seekers.  How and what we choose to make our criteria for the selection, and yes “elimination” process is wholly up to each person.  It comes down to what and how my criteria mixes and matches with someone else’s.  Here in-lies the challenge of chemistry and logistics of reality.
                                      
Don’t get me wrong.  The Big Guy is definitely still included and part of my “prospective partnering process”.  I invite vision to see, heart to understand, and spirit to discern things I may not otherwise see; or more accurately to which (my hormones and) I am inclined to ignore.  Many times have I experienced seeing and or understanding things I likely would not have realized until much further down an emotionally challenging road.  Not that she was “bad”, just not the fit I hoped.

All too often He has proven that He will always be there to help navigate the treacherous waters of decision, heal from the pain inflicted by others as well as my less-wise decisions, and join in our joys.  Ultimately though, it is up to us what we chose as our palate of pleasure and pain because it will be we who endure the aforementioned results of the choice(s).

To be clear, I’m not saying he won’t confirm your decision.  He might.  However, it’s been my experience as I’ve spoken with literally dozens and dozens of fellow single seekers, that too many of us are awaiting our personal burning bush or conduit from heaven presenting us with our perfected, eternal companion.  

So, I suggest we all 1) Get our criteria in order.  2) Be open to possibilities; 3) dump our previous mis-guided assumptions; 4) and for the sake of your own sanity, ASK SOMEONE OUT Or Say YES to someone you might not have previously thought to be “in your league”!

(Just be sure to pray before you do so you don’t mess up. Ha! ;-) ).



No comments:

Post a Comment